Treatment Specialties: Providing individual, couples and family counseling.
I work with a wide range of emotional and behavioral issues providing services that span from therapy for depression and grief counseling to parenting support, couples counseling and beyond. In a comfortable and supportive atmosphere, I offer a highly personalized approach tailored to each of my clients individual needs to help attain the personal growth they’re striving for. You will leave each session with strategies you can use immediately, and in ways that are helpful to you and your family.Treatment specialization includes:
- Therapy for Anxiety and Depression
- Couples Counseling
- Family Dynamics
- Parenting Support
- Grief & Bereavement
- Work and Career Issues
- Stress Management
- Addiction & Recovery
- Emotional & Behavioral Issues
- Eating Disorders
- Self Mutilation (Cutting)
- Empowerment & Self Esteem
- Academic Underachievement
- Learning Disabilities
- Educational Assessments
Distance counseling isn't new. Overall, the idea of logging on from home, or most anywhere, with the convenience of wireless internet and a laptop is becoming more and more attractive for many of my clients. Those of you who live in rural communities, not only benefit from the convenience of having a licensed professional counselor available, but you now have more control in choosing which professional you wish to work with. Online therapy is also helpful for clients with busy schedules, including long or unconventional hours at work, commutes and travel requirements - making it difficult to access professionals during typical office hours.
Today we better understand that in addition to traditional office visits, technology enhanced counseling sessions may be beneficial to clients.
Please contact me, if you would like to learn more about distance counseling. We can discuss your situation and determine if this therapy is appropriate for your needs.
Here are a few of the many options that may interest you:
- Email therapy is much like exchanging letters. Highly verbal and intellectual clients, as well as clients not quite ready for face-to-face interaction may find this therapy beneficial. Some people who might not ordinarily seek out counseling may feel less inhibited when communicating via email. However, please understand that although, email therapy can be beneficial; it is not without its limitations. Visual and hearing cues, essentially non-verbal communication, will be limited.
- Telephone or Chat therapy allows for real-time engagement without the visual cues.
- HIPAA compliant video sessions: If it is determined distance counseling is a good fit for your therapy needs, you will be asked to schedule appointment time(s), similar to regular office appointments.
School Supports for Adolescents & Young Adults
Is your child involved in a residential life program? Perhaps attending & living in one of our prestigious New England independent schools?
Recent studies suggest that teenagers today have more mental health disorders than prior generations, and that these problems often go untreated. When asked about the reasons for the increase in teen mental health problems, answers from adolescents and researchers ranged from:
I have years experience helping students within the international and residential life programs. It can be difficult living far from home for many students; and sometimes a calming, professional voice, unaffiliated with their home school, can provide all the guidance needed to help students get refocused, recharged, and "back in the game". I can meet in my office or work with your school residential office to establish a program that meets your child's needs.
Learning to balance the daily life between academic, social, athletic and community activites can be a challenge for any student. I can help your child address sensitive issues and manage time in a healthy way as well as learn to enjoy each moment as they journey on toward adulthood. They won't need to continue alone.
Signs of Teen Mental Health Problems
In order to get teens the help they need to grow into healthy, well-adjusted adults, parents need to be on the lookout for the warning signs of a mental health problem. Some red flags to watch for include the following:
- Excessive anger, grief, sadness, guilt, fear or worry
- Substance use
- Obsessive dieting, exercise, binge eating, or concerns over appearance and body image
- Acting recklessly, breaking the law or endangering self or others
- Falling behind in school
- Losing interest in things they once enjoyed
- Being isolated or withdrawn
- Hurting other people (or animals) or destroying property
- Thinking their mind is controlled or out of control
- Talking about or alluding to suicide or death
- Unexplained changes in sleeping or eating habits
- Inability to focus, concentrate or make decisions
Sometimes transportation and mobility difficulties can limit our ability to seek help!
Physical injuries and long term care issues can make it difficult to access services that promote healing when we need it the most. If you, or someone you love, is unable to visit my office. I will work with you to meet your needs.
I strongly believe every person, regardless of age, physical injury, terminal illness, and/or disability is entitled to mental health care. You may even need to schedule a home visit on a short term basis, (i.e.: post surgery), as you concentrate on healing both body and soul.Home visits may also be helpful for families with small children or children who may benefit from a behavior plan, specifically designed for use in your home.